Social responsibility and environmental management
In line with our mission "processing and packaging for a better life", Syntegon's technologies contribute to the worldwide supply of long-lasting and high-quality food, as well as high-quality and safely packaged medicines. We are a leader in the development of sustainable packaging solutions and attach particular importance to resource-saving technologies.
In addition, Syntegon has high standards in terms of business ethics and social responsibility. We are committed to the principles of the United Nations Global Compact. We regularly evaluate the environmental and social dimensions of our business and keep an eye on our supply chain.
As part of our own ESG strategy (Environmental Social Governance), we pursue specific goals and measure ourselves against high standards. We also have ourselves assessed annually by Ecovadis as part of a sustainability rating. We are involved in the local communities surrounding our sites and support initiatives in the areas of health, food supply, sustainability, and education.
Dr Michael Grosse, CEO
"At Syntegon, our aim is to develop intelligent and sustainable processing and packaging solutions that improve the lives of consumers and patients. Our technology and services enable the production and preservation of high-quality foods and provide the highest level of product protection.
Syntegon also helps guarantee worldwide access to safely packaged and affordable medicines. In this way, we make an important contribution for a better life of people all around the world."
We support our customers in the transition to environmentally friendly packaging materials – without compromising on product protection and thus contributing to more environmental protection and sustainability.
Our machines are designed to maximize the protection of people, resources, and the environment and can process packaging materials with the lowest possible energy consumption. We evaluate our machines holistically in terms of material and energy consumption and continuously optimize our machine portfolio to further reduce overall resource consumption.
Reducing energy consumption and emissions
Syntegon makes every effort to minimize the adverse impact of its business activities on the environment. We are reducing our energy consumption and emissions while using more renewable energy and increasing the share of recyclable waste.
- We will reduce our CO2 emissions by 25 percent by 2025 compared to 2019.
- We are growing the share of renewables in our total energy consumption from 42 percent in 2020 to 55 percent in 2025.
Conservation and climate action are towering global challenges. Syntegon is doing its part to improve lives with sustainable packaging solutions.
Syntegon takes responsibility for its employees. Their health and safety is of utmost importance to us. We value heterogeneous working practices and strive for a diverse workforce. All employees are to be qualified for their tasks in the best possible way and have the opportunity for further development.
Occupational safety and health
A safe and healthy working environment for every employee is crucial for Syntegon. We assess hazards for people and the environment, and consistently take appropriate protective measures. We make every effort to minimize the risk of occupational accidents while reducing the number of absent days across our workforce.
- We will reduce the number of workplace accidents per million working hours (i.e. accident rate) from 3.3 in 2019 to 2.7 in 2025.
- We aim to reduce the number of absent days per million working hours (i.e. accident severity rate) from 29 in 2019 to 25 in 2025.
Diversity and training
Syntegon values heterogeneous teams and ways of working. We strive for a more balanced distribution of genders, ages, and nationalities in our workforce. All employees are to be qualified for their tasks and have the opportunity for further development.
- We regularly evaluate the number of women in management positions and increase the share with targeted talent selection and mentoring measures.
- Syntegon offers a comprehensive onboarding program, which gives employees access to a needs-based learning portfolio.
- All employees receive feedback based on their skills and performance. Together with their supervisors, they initiate appropriate measures to advance their development.
Syntegon takes responsibility in the social environment of its locations and encourages its employees to get involved socially. We support local projects in the areas of health, food supply, environment, education, and science, for example through donations.
In addition, the Syntegon Group cooperates with the aid organization CARE, which work globally to provide food and health protection measures for people in need.
Along our entire supply chain, we obligate ourselves and our business partners to comply with sustainable business practices and fundamental human rights. We already require our suppliers and service providers to comply with our code of conduct for business partners during the selection process. We work closely with our existing contractual partners, support them in improving their ESG performance, and regularly review them in audits.
Syntegon makes sure that there are no compliance violations or other actions in its supply chain that conflict with applicable law and responsible corporate governance.
- We assess risks and regularly audit areas at greater risk of compliance violations.
- In the event of violations, we demand prompt improvements. If they persist, Syntegon will cease working with the respective suppliers.
- We use tools such as supplier questionnaires, a quick-check app, and deep-drill assessments